Monday, August 26, 2002

I've been writing a blog entry for about three days now, and it still isn't finished. (It's political in nature...'nuff said.) Rather than wait until that one is finished, I thought I'd comment on my first day as Nanny Granddad.
 
OK, a step back here: For the last three years or so, I've been doing consultant work and day trading out of my home office. Well, the day trading part got hammered bad last year, and the consulting went in the toilet right after 9/11. By this summer, the wolf was starting to prowl around the yard. At my age, going out and finding a "real" job that is actually something I want to do (and that pays what I think I'm worth) is...difficult to say the least. But, something had to happen: the bill collectors aren't known for their sympathy and empathy.
 
My son and his lovely wife were dealing with their own little problem over the summer. Our granddaughter was born last January, and her mom's maternity leave was over in June. Something had to be done with the baby. Well, my wife is a Montessori teacher and, as a teacher, she had the summer off. So, she (we) volunteered to be the baby's primary care over the summer. During that time, the kids were supposed to be looking for either day care or a nanny. Well, the search, for various very legitimate reasons, was not fruitful.
 
The end of the summer was fast approaching, and panic was beginning to set in. So, about two weeks ago, I mentioned that I would be happy to continue taking the baby for the day, but it looked very much like I needed to go out and get like a Home Depot type job to bring in some badly needed cash. Whereupon, the kids put their heads together and came back with a counter offer: they'd pay me to take care of--I'm tired of calling her the baby...let's call her Dulce (sweet) from now on--Dulce. They say that, instead of me trundling out to work in someplace I probably would not like, they would be happy to make up at least some of that income. Well, it works for me. I get to do stuff while she takes her nap(s) and sometimes while she is playing with her "stuff". And I don't have to go work for Home Depot. It's a win/win scenario as far as I'm concerned. And, as soon as I can (because I'm still doing stuff that I hope will result in a rebuilding of the family fortune), we can dispense with their contributing to our welfare.
 
So, I'm going to write about being a grandfatherly Nanny. And my first entry will come tomorrow. Tonight, I have other fish to fry, metaphorically speaking. So, goodnight Blogland.
 
Quick aside: I'm listening to a streaming program over Live365 which is almost like I programmed it myself. The channel is Radio Free Idaho, and it is run by a lady who has the same musical tastes (in this genre) that I do. I highly recommend blogging while listening to a nice streaming audio program. ta-ta...

No comments: