Saturday, August 31, 2002

And now a little rant about software:
 
I can't use "Blog This" in Opera. It won't let me. So, I have to use Netscape, but Netscape has suddenly decided not to let my Winamp work. So, I have to have both browsers running if I want both music and "Blog This" operating. I have tried everything I know to fix either/both problems to no avail.
 
This sucks!
 
On another note, three entries prior to this one (oops, I forgot how I have these displaying...the entry I'm looking for is the first entry displayed for 8/31--which makes it the next one as you scroll down...heh, heh), there is a story about how Netscape is losing ground to MSIE. The problem, of course, is that Microsoft so crippled Netscape during the Browser Wars that Netscape could no longer survive as an independent entity. So, it was sold off to AOL, which is no better (in many ways) than Microsoft.
 
AOL has limited options open to it if Netscape is to survive as more than a marginal player in cyberspace. The first thing AOL has to do is make Netscape the default browser for it's online users. The second thing AOL has to do is make Netscape non-commercial. By non-commercial, I mean that Netscape needs to stop being a sales tool. Netscape needs to be a neutral tool for surfing the net.
 
AOL needs to concentrate on making Netscape's underlying code error-free and to dump the Internet malls and product ties that clutter up the Netscape landscape.

No comments: