Thursday, September 12, 2002

News: Windows Media Player 9--no uninstall?
 
Well, once again Redmond, WA's Evil Empire shows its true colors. What were we thinking when we thought breaking the company up would be too draconian. As I see it, the move to make everything an "O/S upgrade" is an attempt to make any future attempt to break up the company undoable. I use Windows Media Player v7.0 for exactly one online music site (The University of Pennsylvania's WXPN's online stream is only available via Media Player v7,) for everything else I use either RealPlayer or WinAmp with the latter being my "preferred" player.
 
The arrogance of Microsoft in forcing their media player on the public should boggle the mind, but, it is almost shrugged off as "business as usual." Call it a vestigial remnent of my youthful rebeliousness, but the more Microsoft tries to dictate how I will "compute", the less likely I am to use their products. I have been threatening to go to Linux (or Mac OS X) for about a year now, this is just one more push in that direction. Oh, btw, for all you who use a Mac O/S or an earlier version of Windows (that is any version other than Me or XP), there will be no Media Player v9 for your O/S's.
 
And the encircling ropes squeeze tighter....

No comments: