Wednesday, September 18, 2002

CNN.com - Bush to seek approval for action against Iraq - Sep. 18, 2002
 
I'm not even sure we really elected him president. I'm damn sure that we didn't elect him "God". He is asking Congress to abdicate in favor of...himself. This is not a case of Saddam actually attacking anybody: there is just the threat of an attack. But, correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't that the situation that pertained from 1946 until the present vis-a-vis both the former USSR (and now its constituent states) and the U.S.? The whole world has lived with the threat that an unbalanced Russian or American leader could wipe out most life on this planet with the push of a button.
 
I don't like Saddam Hussein one little bit. I think the world would be a better place if he were no longer on it. However, I think that there are better ways to eliminate Saddam than by invading his country with a sizeable military force. Specifically, I'm thinking of a couple Special Forces "A" teams each with a master sniper armed with a .50 caliber sniper rifle. Sooner or later, Saddam is going to be on the reviewing stand for some parade. The .50 caliber sniper rifle is accurate at some 2 miles (plus) range. Hell, the shooter and his team would be two blocks away before the bullet hit...and another two blocks further away before the sound got to the bodyguards.
 
Never take credit for the shot. Speculate like mad about all the potential shooters out there. Solemnly avow that we "would never" stoop to political assassination. Give the boys who did the job just about anything they could ask for...on the Q.T....and then get on with life.
 
That, my friends, is what a real President would do in a situation like this. But, then, the Shrublet is not a real president, I guess, because I certainly don't expect him to do something like this...No, I expect him to try to finish what his daddy couldn't. I expect him to commit the U.S. military to the "cleansing" of Iraq. And I expect us to become hated the world over. I expect the occupying army in Iraq to take constant casualties from a populace who would rather die than see us telling them what kind of government and which leader they should adopt. I see Americans and American corporate Icons around the world becoming "legitimate" targets in certain fundamentalist minds. In effect, I see, with the invasion and occupation of Iraq, the Terrorist War against the U.S. picking up a couple notches of intensity.
 
What I don't see is any good coming out of this. And that scares the bejeezus outta me.

No comments: