Saturday, March 05, 2011

Re: Aaack…(aka. computer problems)

Well, that post was about 3 months ago. Let me relate how things progressed. First, it seems that Roger didn’t know what he was talking about. The problem was not the drives, the problem was the SATA controller on the motherboard. Now, seeing as how the SATA controller is integral to the motherboard, the way to fix it is simply to buy a new MB. Which I did. However, it was not the exact same model as the one originally in the ASUS case.
While I was waiting for that to arrive, I started poking around with the Dell to see what it's problem was. Turns out, it wasn’t the Dell at all. I have a Belkin port sharing switch which allows me to share keyboard/mouse/monitor between up to four computers. Well, I have a real old computer (still running Win98) and the Dell hooked up to that. I had some idea once about converting the really old Quantex into a Linux box, but that never quite happened. Anyhow, when the power went out, the Belkin box reset to default configuration. The really old Quantex is on port 1, the Dell is on port 2. When I switched ports on the switch from one to two, voila!, the Dell was right there. Oops, operator error.
So, back to the ASUS. I finally got the new MB in towards the end of January. Had it installed and ready to go the first week of February. I got the board pretty much naked. I cannibalized the CPU, memory, fan, video card, original hard drive and the new 500gb drive I had purchased to replace the supposedly bad 2TB drive I had originally got to fix my problem from the old setup. Once I had everything in place, I powered it up and (again) Voila! the ASUS was back. OK, it was not the same computer: it was a new computer in the old box. Still, I now had/have a working computer again.
Except that it glitches a little bit. Sometimes things are very slow and sometimes it freezes up entirely. Now, the slowdown could be because I have installed the full ZoneAlarm package, and  it, in its unswerving pursuit of perfect safety, sometimes does slow things down. The good news is that I am back to having everything working. And it only has taken me three months to reach this point.
Now that I think of it, I’m not sure this is all good. I’ll get back with a conclusion about that after I have had time to think about it.

No comments: