Saturday, February 06, 2010

Greed and avarice, Part 1

Catchy title, that. I can see it easily reaching Part 1,000,000 very quickly if I allowed myself to catalogue every instance that I run across. However, today I will limit myself to commenting upon the Amazon/McMillan Publishers pricing controversy. Basically, Amazon prices new and bestseller ebooks at $9.99 apiece. McMillan wants Amazon to sell its ebooks for $12.99 to $14.99. Now, I assume that Amazon's cut of the price is not changing (ie. they are not getting a bigger payout per book), so this means that McMillan is hoping to get $3 to $5 more per book rolling into its coffers. If McMillan sells 10,000 ebook copies of a book, that means it makes an extra $50,000 for one that sells for $14.99.

Personally, I find that offensive. McMillan is, basically, picking my pocket to line theirs. I mean, it is not like it suddenly costs $5 more per copy to produce and ebook. No, the cost of an ebook all lies in writing and editing. After that, the cost per copy is negligible. In fact, I would suggest that the people at McMillan run out and get themselves a copy of Chris Anderson's "Free". As it is, I can see the pirate flags unfurling across the Internet. I would guess (hope) that McMillan's revenue from all sources begins to slide. And, if furtherance of that hope, I am calling for a retail boycott of all McMillan products. I also call for McMillan's authors to demand that their publisher cease and desist this larceny of their readers.

'Nuff said...

No comments: