Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Waist deep in the Big Muddy...

I've discovered a "new" (to me) singer/songwriter; a gentleman named Richard Shindell. In particular, there are three songs he does of which I am particularly impressed. Two of them, Transit and Courier are his songs, and, of the two, we here in New Jersey should especially appreciate Transit since it is about commuting in the Garden State. I don't know about you, but I've been where these lyrics describe more than once while driving in this state.

However, it is about the third song on my Shindell List that I want to talk a little about. The song is (the following link is to a streaming audio file...)Waist Deep in the Big Muddy by Pete Seeger. The song is about a training march by a platoon in 1942 during WWII. Listen to the lyrics, though, and think about our current president and our involvement in Iraq, and certain parallels begin to emerge. As I remember it, this song enjoyed a bit of popularity/notoriety in certain circles during the late '60s and early '70s. Similar circumstances, I guess. (One has to wonder about the intellectual acuity of a man who went through the Vietnam experience and, apparently, did not learn a fucking thing about fighting an indigenous enemy. Big Muddy was on the mark about Vietnam and it is again relevant about our involvement in Iraq.

Dear God! We have to live with two more years of this man in office. It scares me to death! Our country's only hope is for the Democrats to take back absolute control of both the House and Senate in November. Then they can keep Bush too busy covering his own ass to spend much time putting the rest of our collective asses in various and sundry slings (such as he is doing now.)

1 comment:

Sharon GR said...

"We have to live with two more years of this man in office. It scares me to death! "

You & me both.