Monday, March 22, 2010

Music

Music is important to me. In fact, my most persistent desire is for my life to run with a continuous soundtrack in the background. No mater what else I might be doing, there would be good music rolling underneath. One of my great disappointments in this life is that over-the-air radio (and I am talking about FM; I haven't listened to AM since I was in high school mid-twentieth century) has degenerated to the point that it is virtually irrelevant. I listen to CD's or MP-3's in my car; I listen to my MP-3 player when I'm out of the house and not in my car; I listen to Internet Radio at home. All are vastly superior to what is currently offered over the air. (Aside: OK, there are still some radio stations out there who play good music. Most of 'em are college stations. But, for the most part, they are all down at the bottom of the frequency range and of lowish power.

So, for the past six or seven years I have been listening to Radio Paradise over the Internet. Bill and Rebecca Goldsmith have been programming great music over the Internet for the last ten years, and I am truly grateful that I found them. I find Bill's programming matches my musical tastes about 80% of the time...and that's a pretty good average. The one thing, though, that I have been becoming a little uncomfortable with for the past year or two is that I am only hearing what Bill plays. Back in the day, I listened to WNEW-FM out of New York City. There were at least 7 or 8 distinct personalities playing music back then, so you would hear different stuff virtually all the time. Sure, they had a basic playlist, but it wasn't like today where the playlist is engraved in stone. Back then, the station's basic playlist may have accounted for 50% of what was played. The other 50% was made up of emerging acts, old stuff that hadn't topped the "Hit Parade", tracks off albums that were not the big hit pieces and weird shit that came out of who knows where. Thing is, I heard a lot of music back then that I wouldn't have heard if I were listening to only one programmer.

I think I have finally found a way to correct this problem. I am now subscribing to Pandora in addition to keeping up my listener support contributions to Radio Paradise. I am going to alternate days with one day going to Radio Paradise and the next going to Pandora. Today is a Pandora day and I have to say that Pandora plays pretty good music. You tell 'em what music and which artists you like and then the play those and others who make similar music. The thing about Pandora is that you can create a bunch of different radio stations with different themes and artists. You can have a soft rock, hard rock, couintry rock, folk, classical and stations that mix genres. Then you can listen to one station for a while before switching to another station that is also programmed for you.

I highly recommend both Radio Paradise and Pandora to any and all out there. And for the jerks at the RIAA, let me say that, for the most part, I listen to the streaming music. However, I do buy about 10 tracks a month to add to the MP-3 player. If at all possible, I buy directly from the artist's web site in the faint hope that most of my purchase price will go to the artist and not to the parasitic suits. Also, to the jerks at the RIAA and the jerks at ClearChannel (or whoever it is who has bought up a huge chunk of the broadcast stations out there) I want to say that one of the major reasons music sales are down is because the vibrant diversity of what was presented to us back in the heyday of vinyl just isn't here anymore. However, places like Radio Paradise and Pandora begin to fill the void...at least when I have an Internet connection.

I just have a little more work to do around the house to get my music into where it needs to go, and I will have a soundtrack at least when I'm home...and that's a good start.

No comments: