Thursday, October 30, 2008

Deja Vu all over again....

I am currently reading Thomas Friedman's "Hot, Flat and Crowded". It is a good book, and I highly recommend it although I am currently only an eighth of my through it. What I have read so far, however, is enough to convince me that this is must reading for any American who hope to consider him(or her)self truly informed. I also have to note that some of what I have read so far could very well have been found int the Club of Rome's book, "Limits to Growth" which was publish some 35+ years ago.

So, right now I am reading about how the price of oil is directly connected to the growth and contraction of freedom around the world. What Mr. Friedman has yet to say is that it is in the interest of the oil producers to block the growth of Green Energy in any way possible. To that end, what this country really needs to do is institute a tax on imported oil that brings the price to about $50-100 per barrel above prevailing world prices. The money that flows into the government coffers from that tax should be 100% earmarked for the development and subsidizing of Green Energy sources until such time as those sources could compete on their own. I know that this is not a popular position for a number of reasons, but it is, I think, the best way to get these sources online in the shortest time humanly possible.

No comments: