Saturday, March 01, 2008

I am impressed...

In an act of pure whimsy, I signed up for a free course at Sony's My 101 on Leonardo da Vinci's notebooks. Turns out, however, that I've already learned a couple things I didn't know and that I've been mildly inspired. Seems da Vinci's notebooks, those that still exist, are the surviving pages of a journal he kept for over 40 years. During that time, he averaged two pages per day. Now, sometimes those pages only held a single sketch or a couple lines of text, but other times the pages were crammed with everything from grocery lists and daily to-do lists to profound insights into how things work and why.

So, Leonardo's work covered some 40 years from his late 20's through his late 60's. If I start try to emulate him, at least in keeping a journal, he'll have about a 30 year (shut-up, "serpent's tooth" *grin*) head start on me, and I don't see me actually getting two pages a day done...But maybe I can average a page a day of some sort. Some of it will be here, and some will be hand written in real ink on real paper, some will be on my other site (still unnamed, s.t.), some will be sketched (I hope) and some will be in spreadsheets. My hope is that by making a commitment I will actually post here at least a couple times a week. Who knows, I may actually build up an actual online following...

And this counts as a page...

3 comments:

Heather Laidlaw Kraft said...

Ummm. I hope you don't think you are hiding your other blog site on my account... Cat's been out of the bag for sometime now. *grin*

-- Serpent's Tooth

El Zorro Viejo (aka; Jim) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
El Zorro Viejo (aka; Jim) said...

You probably have...sigh...