Friday, July 14, 2006

Where does the time go?

As you can see from the preceding post, I have not died...although from the dearth of posting here, it may have seemed that way. Actually, I have been so consumed with other stuff in my life that on those occasions I have contemplated posting, I have not known where to start. So, let's start here...

Since May 10th, I have managed all of six (6) posts. Somewhere in there (May 21st to be exact) one of my two daughters got married. The event was on the other side of the country, so, needless to say, the trip actually consumed far more time than the six days we spent either out in beautiful Seattle or in transit. And, all during this time, I have been working on a business plan for what I think is a killer Internet business. I am at the point with the thing, though, that I am going to have to let it go. I have been reworking and rebuilding the damn thing for two months now, and I think I have found the reason it is taking so long: I am scared to death of losing the dream. Like I said, I think it is a killer application of web-based technology and personal service. Marry the two in this business, and we should end up as truly successful Internet entrepreneurs.

The problem is that we need angel investors to get this off the ground. If we don't get the funding we need, it will die stillborn; just another good idea which didn't have that intangible called luck mixed into all the other ingredients. This is sort of like my last Hurrah as an entrepreneur. It is taking all my energy, and I know I won't have it in me to do this again. It would really suck to end up as a retail employee for the rest of my working life. So, I have a great deal of psychological capital invested in this, and a great deal of emotional capital will go out with every copy we send to potential investors. I know that part of me is dragging out the process just in case we do hit the wall. I have to suck it up and get this sucker out the door ASAP or we will miss our window and we will watch somebody else come up with our idea and run with it. That would suck even more.

So, that is one of the the reasons my posting here has been so sparse. The other reason is that we have been doing a lot of stuff around the house this year. In addition to the never ending war with the weeds outside, we have been making some major renovations on the house which, although for the most part we have people doing the actual installations, there has been a lot of work that I have done in a semi-futile attempt to keep the actual dollar costs down. Anyhow, my personal time has been very, very sparse over the past two months or so. But, all of this should be coming to a completion within the next couple of weeks. Hopefully, the business plan will be out the door at the same time so I will have some time to post here. I find that I need to have this outlet. It tends to clear my spirit and satisfies the need to be creative.

In any event, I will really try to post at least a couple times a week...and I haven't a clue why I'm explaining all this 'cause I've probably lost all my readers (other than Jerry...you still there, buddy?) by my prolonged silence. Ah well, such is life...y'all be good; rock on and I will be back...

No comments: