Tuesday, April 04, 2006

How does one Exorcise a computer?

Sometimes I do think that these machines have a consciousness of which we are, at the moment, in the main unaware. To wit, yesterday, I was hustling to get the Carnival out before I went in to work, but, after doing all the necessary tagging of links here in word, the Blogger plug-in suddenly decided that it would not recognize my blog. No matter what I did, it would not connect to Blogger. So, finally in desperation, I copied the word file over to the Blogger space and then went back and cut and pasted all the necessary html tags. As a result, I was late to work, and I ended up with the wrong Carnival number in the title. And my blood pressure went up about 20 points which is definitely not good! In a pique, I deleted the Blogger tool bar while casting aspersions on the ancestry of those who had designed it.

So, today I open up Word for an entirely different task, and there staring me in the eyeballs, is the Blogger toolbar. I blink. Then I click on the Settings button. There is nothing in the Username/password boxes, so I filled them in. And then, because I’m the adventurous sort, I clicked on the “Open Post” button. Well, imagine my surprise when the damn thing worked. What is this? When I have no particular need, it works, but when I really, really need it to perform it balks? I’m sorry…there must be some sort of malevolent consciousness behind this sort of behavior.

I look at this machine with a new set of eyes. Every now and then I mutter warding chants…just in case.  


This post has been generated by the same bloody program that absolutely refused to function yesterday. In the interim, I have done nothing to change it. This is all too bleedin' strange.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had my own problems in the last week. I was removing unneeded programs (including browser plugins) from my pc in the last two weeks. Sometime last week I noticed that the system clock was running a bit fast. I rebooted to see if that made a difference, but it did not. Over the weekend it seemed to correct itself.

On Tuesday I noticed that some scripts I run automatically at 3:15 am, that create weather summaries, hadn't run on April 1 through April 3. Since I have eight day backups of raw data, nothing was lost. My point is that there is no obvious reason for this to have happened. It started for no obvious reason and ended just a quickly. I don't even know if the actions I mentioned were responsible for the changes. But I don't reboot every day and that was the last set of actions I did before problem showed up.

Maybe it was a haunting.