Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Neighborhood WiFi networks, or, how to be cutting edge for cheap...

This is a very interesting little story about a possible future where the Comcasts and Verizons of the world find themselves on the outside of the "restaurant" with their noses pressed to the window. I read this and then think of my little neighborhood; you know, it could work.

I live in an area where the cheap houses go for close to $400K. One would think that one could get 10 neighbors to pony up, say, three grand apiece for the initial membership in the co-op (covers initial equipment and set-up costs), and then pay a percentage of the monthly cost for running the network. Once a homeowner joins the co-op, that house is a member and the membership right transfers to a new owner should the original member move. Thus, the original cost could be addes to the house as a capital improvement. If the new owners don't want to take advantage, that's their option. When I think about it, right now I'm paying about $57/month for cable, $52/month for DSL, $40/month for cell phone and about $70/month for two physical phone lines. That's over $200/month for those services. If I can bring that cost down to even $150/month, it is well worth it to me.

I, for one, plan to follow this story as closely as possible. Hell, even if I have to keep my cell phone, it would still be worth it!

No comments: