Sunday, October 20, 2002

Disregard that abortive effort below (ie. the second post of October 19, 2002). I left out a couple quotation marks in three of the links and managed, thereby, to totally screw up the post to the point where I can't get in to edit it. That (me being so stupid) really sucks! So, following is what I meant to post the first time.
 
TCS: Tech Central Station - Where Free Markets Meet Technology
 
I stumbled across this site courtesy of another New Joisey Blogger. It is an interesting mix of tech and conservative politics. I feel a little funny recommending it to anyone who happens to stumble across this, but recommend it I do--with the caveat that one has to approach this site with a certain degree of...of...caution, I think, is the word I'm looking for. Don't take their every word as gospel and understand that their agenda might not be the same as yours (or mine, as the case might be.)
 
For example, there is a good article by Brock Yates (my God! I remember Brock Yates writing for Car and Driver back in the 60s when I was in my twenties) about hydrogen fuel cells and their highly suspect future as an automotive fuel source. I don't want to read this kind of stuff except that his facts and his science (to the best of my ability to verify them) are sound. Then there is another article about wind generators and their limitations as an alternative source of electricity. Another of my pet technologies given a severe, and seemingly warranted, downgrade. However, there is, I think, a silver lining in all this: namely that both could eventually contribute significantly so long as sufficient resources are devoted to furthering their technology.
 
There are other articles which I think are plain wrong, and deserve opposition. The thing is that whether I agree or disagree with an article, they all make me think about the science involved, the economics involved and the politics involved. These are not strident polemics from the fringe right. They are pieces by, as far as I can tell, intelligent people who are trying to rationally, and with supporting evidence, advance their agenda. This is not a bad thing, and I recommend TCS to all and sundry.

No comments: