Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Linux redux 2

I've finally figured out how to install software in Linux. Well, let me immediately qualify that statement. I can now insall software that is available to the Synaptic package manager. Package manages in Linux find and download software and all the associated software tha program needs to work. Package managers are great for loading compiled packages; they are not so great for downloading stuff that is not compiled for Linux.

I also got a copy of Ubuntu 8.04 on a cd from Linux Magazine and did a full re-install. I wiped the Linux partition and started from scratch. However, I did save all my user files by uplading them to my Yahoo Briefcase. Once they were safe, I cleaned out the Kubuntu installation and did a full, clean install. The benefits were immediate. I find that I like the Gnome desktop, and that installing the KDE desktop just did not give me anything so compelling as to make me want to switch from Gnome. About the only thing I miss is the Amarok music player (which, although optimized for use with the KDE desktop, can be used with Gnome). I am still having trouble with the hibernate settings, but that is a minor, minor inconvenience.

The major benefit of the re-install has been the resurrection of my wireless card. For whatever reason, the native drive included in either the most recent itteration of the kernel (2.6.24.19) or Ubuntu (Hardy Heron:8.04) is working perfectly. I get reasonable connection speed and it connects to whichever network happens to be available whether that is my home network or someplace like where I am now: at the Subaru dealership waiting for my car to go through a scheduled service.

So, I am now almost 100% settled in to Linux. And that means that I am about to leave the "absoute beginner category and move up one rung on the user ladder. When I get to the rung above this one, when I become an "informed user", I will delete Vista from it's place on the Hard Drive and become a fully Linux user at least on this machine.

No comments: