Friday, May 30, 2008

Moving to LInux Update 1

I am still having trouble with my wireless connection. The culprit seems to be the Realtek RTL8187 USB wireless NIC and associated drivers. From reading the posts in the Launchpad and Ubuntu forums, there seems to be a work around available using NDISwrapper (he said, cluelessly), but I have to wait for tech support (ie. my son-in-law) to walk me through the installation process.

Other than the wireless problem (right now I'm hard wired into the router, and that works just fine) I really like the Ubuntu flavor of Linux. Boot times are about a minute which compares very favorably to the interminable boot sequence in Windoze. The more I learn about Linux, the happier I am. However, a note to the masses: You need to have a modicum of computer smarts (read skills) to successfully move to a Linux O/S. Either that or you need to be in an environment where you have a network admin person who can deal with things which need to be dealt with using the command line. Ah, the command line; makes one think back on the days of DOS. Now, don't get me wrong, you can do most everything you need to do in Linux without having to refer to the command line...unless you want to install new hardware or new software, and even there a great majority of the time you wouldn't need to access the command line. However, there are going to be times with Linux when the command line becomes a necessity. So, if typing arcane commands into a computer worries you, then you might want to hold off on leaping to Linux. In that case you will be condemned to the Windows dungeon, and you have my sympathy.

No comments: