Friday, October 13, 2006

"We Can't Make It Here Anymore" Part 2

A couple (two) posts ago I wrote about James McMurtry's song "We Can't Make It Here Anymore". I would like to dig a little deeper into that song because every time I listen to it, it digs a little deeper into me. I mean, it starts out with:

Vietnam Vet with a cardboard sign Sitting there by the left turn line Flag on the wheelchair flapping in the breeze One leg missing, both hands free

which tells us something about the men and women who are currently in charge. The fact that we treat citizens who pretty much gave their all for their country like disposable diapers is bad enough; that we make them beg for their food and shelter is even worse. Nevertheless, this is our reality, and it is how the self-centered neo-cons running things think.

Shit, I was going to go through this, cherry picking lyrics, but I can't do that. Instead, let me send you to the lyrics and then urge you to go out and get this song any way you can (I've gone and actually purchased one of Mr. McMurtry's cd's because I feel honor bound to pay the artist for his work. I know that most of what I paid is going to some suit who had nothing to do with the creative work that went into this, but at least something goes to the artist and that is the important thing) and listen to it while reading along with the lyrics. It is just powerful stuff...then go out and send the Bushites back to clipping coupons--or whatever other unproductive work they did before going to Washington--on November 7th.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog about "We can't make it here" and wanted to share the video/slideshow that I made last year for the song. If the link doesn't work let me know and I'll send it a different way. Thanks, Jeremy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_vN0--mHug