Saturday, February 11, 2006

Cigarettes...

I was driving home from work the other day when I noticed this individual sitting up on the grassy slope next to Friday's. The gentleman (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt) was holding a sign that had "Wish List" written at the top. Listed below were the things this person felt he needed. I didn't have time to really read the list because the light changed and my group of cars started moving, but what I did come away with was the impression that the man was down on his "luck" and was looking for some help. Now, and here's the crux of all this, while looking for help (mostly financial in some manner) this guy is smoking a cigarette. Here in New Jersey, a pack of cigs costs at least $2.00/pack.

OK, I'm a reformed smoker. Twenty-five years ago, I was smoking two packs a day: on one of the first Great American Smoke-outs my wife and I quit cold turkey. Almost killed each other a number of times the first three weeks, but we got through it and haven't touched a cigarette since. But that is not what this is about. If the man in question wants to rot his lungs, as far as I'm concerned it is his choice. So, this is not a moral issue here, it is an economic one. If this guy is destitute and homeless to the point where he needs a blanket to protect him from the cold, then he should take that money he is literally burning up down to the local Salvation Army, and buy a blanket from them. Once he takes that first step, I'd be much more inclined to help him with the second and third and further steps.

It is going to have to be private citizens like you and me providing the aid for people like this guy, though, 'cause the government under Bush sure as hell isn't going to help him. The government is still too busy providing aid and assistance to those poor multimillionaires who have to pay all those ghastly taxes. They need that extra money to do...something, I don't know...but they do need that extra cash. Note: I didn't see any chauffeured Rolls Royces stopping to give this guy a sawbuck or two. I don't think the Bush welfare for the rich has trickled down to this guy yet...

No comments: